Monday, October 27, 2008

Fish, Obama, and Jesus

As you likely know, Obama is gaining momentum heading into next week's election. This campaign has lasted, what, two years? I think the length of the campaign cycle needs to change in the future, but I'm not optimistic that it will. And after all this, it feels like a lot of heads are coming together from various corners of the country--many camps, so to speak--to try to avoid what I'd call a catastrophic collapse between now and next Tuesday. From Greg Oden to Stanley Fish. Frankly, if this doesn't excite you, I might consider you disengaged in one way or another.

On Sunday, Fish wrote in the NY Times about Obama's patient, passive approach to campaigning, comparing him to Jesus. A stretch? Well, I'm not the person to comment on whether the connection is entirely accurate or not, but it's quite an impressive rhetorical move by Fish to draw this particular sketch one week before the election.

(And before you say, "oh, like all the liberal sheep haven't treated him like Jesus for months now," just check out the article. Not all of Obama's supporters blindly praise and follow his every word. Yeah, I've grown defensive in this area.)

1 comment:

John Peacock said...

"Frankly, if this doesn't excite you, I might consider you disengaged in one way or another."

I THINK that might be the funniest thing I've read in many days. Kudos.

I think what we're seeing with regard to Obama is a bunch of "Itoldyaso"...really from both parties. Imagine how different this season would be if Clinton HAD received the nod.

And from the GOP side, a bunch (maybe too much) of finger-pointing. Blame. Disruption of party function. A new split for the republicans?

Recall what happened when Andrew Jackson ran for president. Yes, i know...history again...ick.

John out.