Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Like when you fall across the finish line in 8th place

At 4:30 today, I drove my final paper to my professor's house and dropped it off. Term over. Now I'm celebrating by watching the Houston Rockets (on a 22-game winning streak!) play the best team in the East, the Celtics. Considering the circumstances, there's absolutely nothing I'd rather be doing right now.

I don't know what's up with my immune system, but it has really failed me lately. I began this term sick with the flu, and I fell sick again on Saturday. Three days later I'm finally able to get into library and quickly thumb through a copy of Aristotle's Politics, only to realize it doesn't address what I expect, and it's not the impressive work I anticipated. But, it did factor into the conclusion of my paper. (Yeah, for better or worse, I made it fit.) Anyway, the truth is, I do know why I got sick again: I didn't sleep well this term, didn't eat well, couldn't exercise the way I usually do--my overall health was bad, and considering that my prof said I looked green (see last post), it's no wonder I ended up in bed for two days.

On the bright side, I passed my motorcycle certification test on Sunday, so as soon as I stop at the DMV, I have the official license to wear leather chaps. Kidding--nobody wants that. The certification course was a combined 19 hours this weekend, more than half of which was spent on a bike, and I'm sure it contributed to my sickness. No regrets, though; on Thursday I drive to a small town in Washington to (possibly) buy a 1980 Honda CB750, and old cafe-style racer. (Aside: the certification course instructor was one of the coolest people I've ever met, a nonfiction writer whose wife is a poetry professor at OSU.)

So, break begins. And although I have so much planned for the next two weeks that it won't be relaxing, it will be fun. I'm going to return to this game now, and then I might watch "No Country for Old Men," which I picked up as I was buying a new battery for my dead car Saturday night. Yes, I've staggered to the end, but the term is over. Hoo-rah, hoo-ray.

3 comments:

Miss Marjie said...

I'm sorry you've been feeling so crummy this term. It's been a tasty term for health for everyone it seems.

I'm watching American Idol but monitoring the Rockets game closely. :)

No Country for Old Men was the best movie of the last year. Yummy. I've only seen it 4 times now, but I'm sure it's just as good on the 5th time.

Congrats for making it to the end of the term. I haven't yet. But I plan to... Oh yes, I plan to

Travis said...

Agreed, No Country was my favorite film last year--this is only my second viewing. Just saw the service station coin flip scene. Wonderful.

Rockets lost, but that was quite a winning streak. If only it would have been the Blazers...

Michael Faris said...

I don't know, chaps sound pretty cool... :)

Hope you feel well and get rest over spring break! Good luck!