Sunday, April 27, 2008

Headaches and reliefs: the physical edition

I began playing in a softball league in Roseburg last summer with some friends from Winston, and we started the new season on Saturday, playing three games in a kickoff tournament. I've always loved playing baseball, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed it as much as I do with this group--a great mix of characters all linked somehow to the school where I taught last year, Douglas High. Our team name--the Grays--comes from an old Negro League team that was based in Homestead, Pennsylvania. Below are a couple of photos from last summer.

I'm sure I'll write more about the Grays this summer. I'll be in Corvallis taking classes almost continually, but I am going to try to take a trip to Roseburg a few times each month to play with the team and see my friends down there (68 miles south of Eugene). We played well on Saturday, winning 2 of 3 games, and we hit well for the first weekend of the season. Our defense was great, and Timmy and I turned a sexy double play during the second game; Timmy plays shortstop and I play second base. It might be the best middle infield in southern Douglas County class C softball this year. But I don't mean to brag. (Yes I do.)

Unfortunately, despite making it through the entire season last year without any injuries, I took a pretty good hit to the head near the end of our first game. Garret waived me home as I rounded third base. I saw the other team's shortstop with the ball but knew I could beat the throw to the catcher. Well, this was a very good throw--I hear the guy had a great arm and put everything into it. I began my slide under the catcher's arms and felt the ball hit me behind the top of my left ear. I don't really remember what happened in the seconds after that because everything went black, and it felt like the hit was spinning me around. When I opened my eyes I couldn't see out of the right one at all, and, from my back, could only see a little light out of my left eye. I rolled onto my butt and watched the ground spin, thinking only "come on, come on, come on," as I waited for my vision to return. I held my breath and tried not to puke on all the shoes circled around me. I looked up and could make out the umpire with one eye as he asked me if I knew where I was, and I said "yeah, hope I was safe." Nobody laughed! ...or, I didn't hear them. Anyway, a couple of people helped me up (Tyler and the ump?), and walked me into the dugout where I sat spinning and watching the vision return to my right eye; strange that I lost vision in my right eye for so long from a hit to the left side of the head...but, now that I think of it, I think that's consistent with what I learned about the brain in a college psychology class. That was a long time ago. Tyler brought me ice and I sat still, happy that I didn't eat breakfast that morning.

I've heard people say they don't remember what happened when they were knocked out. I lost maybe five seconds of it, but I remember most of this experience, so I assume I was nearly knocked unconscious and probably suffered what could be termed a "mild concussion." My jaw and head hurt all day yesterday, and I've still got a headache today to accompany the large knot on my head. But, fortunately it's nothing serious or worth worrying about. I just thought I'd share this because it's still vivid, an experience most of us aren't familiar with, and an interesting example of how sensitive our brains are.


Photo 1: Me, Tyler, Timmy, Kevin M.
Photo 2: Me, Garret
Photo 3: Kevin G., Dee, Mike B., Chris, Mikey, Tyler, Me, Jon

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Miss Marjie said...

That first picture is adorable. :)

Dubby said...

Glad to hear you asked about being safe. That will go a long way with the boys in the clubhouse.