Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Minor breakdown(s)

So, today I was stranded on Highway 99 and I missed that 1-credit practicum I mentioned in the last posting. Bad day. Fortunately, the instructor was very nice about it and she'll let me make up the points by doing a short presentation later in the term.

I bought a 1979 Honda cb750 from a retired guy in Washington over spring break, and he didn't want me to take it on the highway because I would have had to drive it on a muddy road to get there. I drove it briefly in his yard and it ran well, and since he has about ten bikes in his garage that have been or will be restored by him, I trusted the ol' guy. My bad. I'm taking it to a mechanic in Philomath next week. May be an ignition problem. May be a carb problem. May be an alternator problem.

Photobucket

Big thanks to Josh for helping me out continually with this bike, and for getting me off the side of the road today. It's a fun, powerful old bike when it runs properly--and it will be running perfectly before summer is here, or I'm giving up on all motorized vehicles and sticking to my feet and bicycle. Oh, and next summer, if I still have the thing, it'll be black with cafe-style handlebars and a different exhaust.

2 comments:

Miss Marjie said...

All it needs is sparkly pink and silver streamers on the handlebars and it'll be perfect! :D

Anonymous said...

Finally read this. Thank you for the words, sir. Hopefully the Silver Ghost (what I have named the new bike without your knowledge or consent... hey it worked for Rolls Royce) will treat you well.

I don't know about you, but I look at my bike as if it were a faithful dog. A faithful dog that I flog mercilessly until it does what I want, but a faithful dog none the less. :-)