Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another Top Ten: Songs

Again, a friend on Facebook prompts me to compose a list. This time, it's my ten favorite songs. Yes, the all-time favorites. I hesitate to post this even, since it's wholly inadequate and was drafted in about 7 minutes. I didn't allow myself to include more than one song for an artist. Really difficult for me to not include a few groups/artists, like Beck and the Pixies. Also, for my own time and sanity, I didn't include rap/hip hop or jazz, which may have brought in Snoop, Dre, and Herbie Hancock. But this is what I came up with:

Beatles, A Day in the Life
Blitzen Trapper, Furr
Broken Social Scene, 7/4 (Shoreline)
The Builders and the Butchers, Bottom of the Lake
The Decemberists, Grace Cathedral Hill
The Fiery Furnaces, Take Me Round Again
The Grateful Dead, Shakedown Street
Jenny Lewis, Rise Up With Fists!!!
The Shins, Gone for Good
TV on the Radio, Shout Me Out

Honorable Mention:
The Arcade Fire, No Cars Go
Of Montreal, A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvinger
Starfucker, Pop Song


What about you?

2 comments:

Dennis said...

This tells me that you and I need to talk about music. I have or recognize almost everything on this list, and am a little amazed that Arcade Fire only rates an honorable mention.

Travis said...

Talk, we will.

Yeah, yeah, the list reflects my current feelings for these artists as much as (if not more than) my long-term appreciation for any given artist. Arcade Fire put on one of the best shows I've ever seen (Berkley, '06), and I've listened to "Funeral" and "Neon Bible" probably more than any other albums I own. I need something new from them. I nearly included about 3 different songs of theirs in the top ten, then ended up shifting them out for other songs I just had to include. I'm still a little ashamed that I don't have a Pixies song in this list.

Anyway, more music to come, as always.