Thursday, June 5, 2008

Brighter thoughts

My last few blogs have been ridiculously whiny. Here's a quick update about a few things I'm looking forward to.

On Saturday I am making a quick trip to Winston where I taught for two years, delivering graduation gifts to a couple of students who've invited me to graduation. I'd like to make it to the ceremony, but I have a conflicting graduation party to attend in Corvallis, and a ton of work to do before my Monday deadline. A former student's parents own a fantastic vineyard in the Umpqua Valley, and I've become friends with the family; the wife, Hilda, was president of the school board while I worked in the district, and we always enjoy talking about education, politics, wine (despite my limited knowledge), etc. Anyway, their wine is fantastic, some of the best on the West Coast, and I'm picking up bottles of their newly-released Albarino for myself, Josh, and a professor who was blown away by last year's Albarino at a fall department gathering. Check out the site: Abacela.com

I have a Monday deadline for my papers on Hawthorne and Chaucer because I'm flying to Michigan on Tuesday morning for 10 days. When I return, it's back into a potentially grueling academic grind: 9 weeks of Spanish from 9 a.m. to noon 5 days a week, my thesis work, and 3 credits of ENG 506, Special Projects, assisting the composition director in developing/publishing resource guides for instructors of WR 121 and WR 214.

But enough about that! In the nearer future, it's wine and Lake Superior sunshine.

2 comments:

Miss Marjie said...

Yay! I am always happy to hear of new tasty wines. I shall look into the Abacela Vineyeards.

I hope you have a delightful and restful trip away from Chaucer, Hawthorne, and all WICness. :

Laura said...

Ooh, busy summer. I'm thankful I've got the language requirement covered. But, you're right: learning Spanish will serve you very well.

Hope the Shipman's Tale is coming along. There's got to be a good argument in there somewhere.

Then, I agree with Marjorie: I hope you have a good time away from dead writers and WICness.rhtzqjwk