Friday, June 27, 2008

Feeling slighted

Kulongoski gets to stay overnight, and I got rolled out in a wheelchair one hour after the surgery to puke at home all night! Hmm, and apparently I was supposed to sign away my powers...

Governor to undergo surgery on gall bladder

SALEM, Ore. - Gov. Ted Kulongoski is scheduled to undergo surgery Saturday to have his gall bladder removed after it was discovered to be infected this week, his staff confirmed Friday.
The discovery came when Kulongoski went to see a doctor earlier this week after not feeling well, according to Rem Nivens, the governor's deputy press secretary. An ultrasound showed that the organ needed to be removed, Nivens said.
Nivens called it a "routine procedure."
The gall bladder, a small pear-shaped organ located near the liver, aids in the digestive process.
Before Kulongoski is put under anesthesia for the surgery, he and Secretary of State Bill Bradbury will sign a letter that will transfer gubernatorial powers to Bradbury. When the governor comes to, the letter will be revoked, Nivens said.
Nivens said the governor will stay in the hospital overnight and will have a light work schedule next week as he recovers.
The surgery will force him to miss a trip to Wyoming next week for a gathering of governors from western states.

4 comments:

DierSara said...

Did you have your surgery done in the morning? Perhaps his was done past 1:00 pm. When I had my gall bladder removed they scheduled me past 1:00 forcing me to stay overnight. Believe me, it's better to throw up all over in the comfort of your own home. Unless you literally threw up all over, then it's better to do that somewhere that has a cleaning service.

Nice to meet you. I'm Sara, a friend of Marjorie's and fellow soon-to-be proud parent of a turkey vulture named ____ _____ Esq.

Laura said...

Were you puking because of a reaction to the anesthesia? That's what happened to me when I had my gall bladder out: I was so nauseaus (sp?) I wanted to die. Oh, wait: it wasn't the anesthesia. It was the morphine. And I remember the discharge nurse (or whatever her title was), coming in the room and just not getting the fact that I couldn't move, let alone leave the hospital. She kept trying to sign me out and my care-nurse even had to say something like, "No, you don't get it. She's not leaving now."

So I feel for you having to go home while still puking. No fun.

Travis said...

I'm sorry for my delayed response, but I didn't even notice that I had comments.

Nice to meet you, too, Sara, and I'm sure we'll all be wonderful parents for our turkey vulture. I've already picked out a little baseball glove for ____ ______ Esq. My surgery was at about 10 a.m. And you're right--I'm sure it was better to be uncomfortable in my own apartment and not be surrounded by cold white walls, floors, nurses, etc. But I did sort of feel like perhaps they should have monitored me a bit closer than they did after the surgery. That's what I get for having it done in Roseburg I suppose.

And Laura, I'm not sure why I was puking. I was dizzy and sick for about 12 hours, I think. They were in a hurry to discharge me and I was just staring flatly at the nurse thinking "make me move if you want to." My friend was laughing later, said I was green and looked like I was about to die.

Laura said...

Sounds unhappily familiar. You could have been reacting to the anesthesia or to any pain meds they gave you. Dreadful feeling.