Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday happenings

Two goals for today: Watch the Blazers play the Hawks (in Atlanta, 10 a.m.), and make great strides on my paper for ENG 595, Language, Technology, and Culture.

Well, the Blazers got whipped. I won't mention the score or link to it, but I will say that they must play much better in the next week during this 5-game road trip if they're going to stay in the middle of the Western Conference playoff race. Rudy, Blake, and Nic need to play better than they did today.

The paper is going fine. It's a sort of mini-MA thesis for me, focusing on five openings Anne Wysocki sees for new media:

1. The need, in writing about new media in general, for the material thinking of people who teach writing
2. A need to focus on the specific materiality of the texts we give each other
3. A need to define “new media texts” in terms of their materialities
4. A need for production of new media texts in writing classrooms
5. A need for strategies of generous reading

More on the struggles and successes of the Blazers and my thesis project as we move forward.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Wow, you've been blogging up a storm lately, I'm just now catching up.

Your thesis topic strikes me as being evermore cutting edge. I would be so bold as to say that legitimacy in new media studies is overdue by a few years (which I realize is something of a basic statement...)

Travis said...

Yeah, I think your statement is correct. A lot of the teaching and research is a bit behind, but I think that finally some people are catching up. One of my copies of Wysocki's book is on the coffee table, should you care to thumb through it this week.